Forum for Sydney University SIFE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Forum for Sydney University SIFE

The main discussion, communication and information source for Sydney Uni SIFE team members.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

CARE Australia CEO Guest Speaker at USyd

Go down 
AuthorMessage
mlukman

CARE Australia CEO Guest Speaker at USyd Empty
PostSubject: CARE Australia CEO Guest Speaker at USyd   CARE Australia CEO Guest Speaker at USyd EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 7:38 pm

Hi everyone,

This isn't really a public event, but I thought I'd share it with the SIFE team anyway. Tomorrow, Thursday, Oct 15, Dr Julia Newton-Howes, CEO of CARE Australia will be giving a talk to students of IBUS6002 - Cross-Cultural Management at 6 pm in Lecture Room 1 of the New Law School.

She was invited by our professor, Dr. Brent MacNab to give a 2-hour talk on CARE Australia, their work, strategies, and mission as an Australian-based charity organisation. They're also placing the fight against global hunger as a central focus, and have been channeling a large part of their resources in aiding victims of the recent SEA natural disasters.

A little bit of info about Dr. Julia Newton-Howes and CARE Australia:

Dr Julia Newton-Howes became Chief Executive of CARE Australia in October 2007. Julia Joined CARE Australia from AusAid, where she was the Assistant Director General, responsible for multilateral aid and aid to Africa. Working for AusAid for many years, Julia was also posted to Vietnam as Counsellor (Development Cooperation) and was an adviser for two years to Australia’s Executive Director to the World Bank, based in Washington DC.

Julia was born in India and spent her early life in Zimbabwe, leaving to attend Imperial College at London University, where she obtained a bachelor degree and PhD in science. After spending a number of years in scientific research in Australia, Julia decided to pursue her passion for development.

CARE is an international humanitarian aid organisation fighting global poverty, with a special focus on working with women and girls to bring lasting change in their communities. We are non-religious and non-political Australian charity, working together with communities to provide emergency relief and address the underlying causes of poverty. We believe supporting women and girls is one of the most effective ways to create sustainable outcomes in poor communities.

CARE Australia's website can be found here.

For those interested, please reach me at my mobile: 0450457355 (prefereably before 5:45 pm).

Sorry the last-minute notice.

Regards,
Martin
Back to top Go down

CARE Australia CEO Guest Speaker at USyd
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Forum for Sydney University SIFE :: Upcoming Events, Conferences, Workshops & Volunteer Opportunities :: University Events or Conference organised by other student organisations-
Jump to: